Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

I've been there


I've been there

By May Kwek

“Look at that land over there”
The others with me cried
“It looks so bare, so empty
Hidden from the light”

“Who goes there?” They asked
And a voice answered from the air
“Those who don’t belong
Are banished over there”

A shiver went down their spines
And they stayed away
The barren land a haunting memory
Every single day

They huddled together in groups
Each trying to be the same
To not belong was a horror
A fear without a name!

So anyone who couldn’t be
Who just wouldn’t belong
Were cast aside quickly
For indeed, they must be wrong!

So no one noticed when I left
Never to return
Except the voice who whispered to me
“Why won’t you learn?”

“See that land over there?
It’s desolate and cold
The chill bites not your bones
But even your soul”

“You will be sent there soon
If you don’t hurry and join the rest
It’s easy, just be the same
And your true self repress”

I turned to reply
And the voice seemed surprised
As I turned towards the land
And a smile met my eyes

“Oh Fear,” I replied
To that voice in the air
“You can’t scare me with that
You see, I’ve been there”

Copyright © 2018 by May Kwek

No comments: